As with any other sport, wearing the proper golf attire is considered as the proper etiquette while playing. Therefore, as much as you invest in the proper equipment to improve your game, you should also keep in mind your selection of clothes to wear on a golf game.
Reasons for Proper Golf Attire:
A majority of golf clubs,especially high-classed ones, enforce a strict dress code in order to preserve the formality of the sport, though the kind of clothes that are permitted may vary. Some clubs even stop a player from playing golf if their clothing doesn’t meet the requirements, which can lead to frustrating situations.
Also, most of the time, playing golf is one way for corporate officers to engage into formal business talks while taking a leisure. In order to show respect and to preserve the formality of such a meeting, both parties should also wear proper attire in the golf course.
Proper Attire Guidelines:
The idea to keep in mind when choosing your golf attire is to keep the sense of formality on the golf course, while at the same time feel comfortable enough so you can focus on the game itself.
- Shirts with collars are considered to be the standard in choosing golf attire. Anything than that, and it’s considered illegal. Make sure that the shirts you wear feel very comfortable when you wear them. If the shirt’s too tight or too loose, it can have an impact on your concentration in different ways.
- Some shirts made by manufacturers like Taylormade golf are made with new technology to make them breathable, thus giving added comfort. Make sure to choose these types of clothing, more comfort contributes to your focus in the game.
- Both long and short pants are okay, but if you’re going for shorts, make sure that they’re designed for the sport. Their length should also not be shorter than just above the knee. Jeans, denim, and cargo shorts are strictly not allowed.
- Baseball hats are preferred, as they keep the sun off your eyes, thus improving your vision. And one requirement in golf is that you have to see the field as far as you can. Some golf hats made by brands like Taylormade golf have their logo visible, which also adds to your fashion sense.
- •While any sports brand of clothing lineup is okay, it’s more preferable if your clothing brand specializes in golf apparel, like Taylormade golf.
- As much as possible, wear shoes that are suitable for golf. These shoes are fitted with spikes on their soles which prevent slipping, especially since the course consist of non-solid surfaces like sand, mud, etc. Also, the spikes should be made of rubber, as steel spikes may damage the lawn covering the course, and hence is not allowed.
- Keeping a golf sweater, vest, or jacket in your golf bag is recommended, especially during the cold weather or when your tee-off times are very early (normally around 6:00 A.M.). Of course, once the weather gets warmer, you should remove them.
- Don’t forget to apply both a sunblock and a lip balm before any game. You’ll surely be exposed to the sun for the entire run, and it you can get some skin diseases related to extended exposure. Applying the appropriate sun protection will preserve your skin’s health and keeps you looking presentable for the next day at work.
Remember, while playing golf is a competitive sport on its own, you can still put some fashion sense in your golf attire, to make you look more presentable. Also keep in the combination of colors that you’re wearing. If you’re wearing a light-colored shirt, then go for neutral colors like white or black.
If you’re having a difficult time finding the proper golf outfit for you, stick to the brands like Taylormade golf, which specialize in attire made exclusively for golf. This will make your choices much easier.